Ref set to be dropped for Juve penalty blunders

Some serious action being taken against napoli players and the ref after juventus lost to napoli 3-1 on two hugely disputed penalties…

MILAN, Oct 29 (Reuters) – Italian referee Mauro Bergonzi will not officiate in this week’s matches and looks set to be dropped for a longer period after wrongly awarding two penalties against Juventus on Saturday.

Juve lost 3-1 at Napoli having been level at 1-1 before Maurizio Domizzi converted both controversial spotkicks.

Bergonzi decided Giorgio Chiellini fouled Ezequiel Lavezzi despite replays showing he won the ball and the official pointed to the spot again after former Juve striker Marcelo Zalayeta dived over keeper Gianluigi Buffon. The referee has not been selected for any of Tuesday’s Serie B games or Wednesday’s Serie A matches, the Italian Soccer Federation website said.

Media reports have said referees’ chief Pierluigi Collina could now ban Bergonzi for as much as a month and then keep him in Serie B for longer.

An online petition asking for the referee to be struck off has received thousands of signatures on a well-known Juventus fan website.

Zalayeta has been banned for two games for his dive, the Italian league said in a statement.

Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri said he hoped his club were not being victimised because of their role in last year’s match-fixing scandal, which involved clubs securing favourable referees. Juve were stripped of two titles and demoted in the affair but won promotion straight back to the top flight last term. ‘We have already paid for the past, two championships and a relegation. We want to be treated like everyone else,’ he told Italian media.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *